Whether by lifestyle change or surgical intervention, massive weight loss has countless benefits to an individual. It’s something that can change patients’ lives. The result of such high-speed weight loss, however, can be large amount of excess skin, and loose underlying muscle and tissue. Once the pounds are gone, the journey isn’t over. Body contouring after weight loss can provide massive weight loss patients with the toned, sleek body they are looking for, a way to look as good as they feel on the inside.
What Is Body Contouring Surgery?
The body can store fat cells almost anywhere, so losing all of that weight can affect the arms, thighs, buttocks, midsection, back, and more. Body contouring surgery can be customized to trim away excess skin and stubborn fat pockets left behind in these areas. When you meet with a plastic surgeon to discuss body contouring, you’ll have a long list of procedures to talk about. Together, you can plan a surgery that will address your own problem areas, whether they include flabby arms, loose skin around the waist, or something else.
What Procedures Are Involved?
Your body contouring surgery will be customized to suit your body’s unique needs and your own desired results. It may include just one procedure or several, as determined by you and your plastic surgeon. Some of the procedures that are typically chosen by patients after significant weight loss include:
- Breast lift surgery, which is designed to lift sagging breast tissue and trim away excess skin. Breast lift patients can achieve improved breast shape, position, and tone.
- Tummy tuck surgery, or abdominoplasty, which addresses concerns with loose skin and muscles as well as fatty tissue left behind after weight loss.
- Body lift surgery, the most popular post-weight loss surgery. It can be used to remove excess skin and fat from the back, flanks, and abdomen all at once. On average, patients can lose an additional 10-15 pounds of tissue and achieve a more toned appearance.
- A thigh lift. This procedure concentrates on lifting and contouring the skin and tissue of the thighs. This area is particularly stubborn throughout the weight loss process and is a very common target for surgery.
- Arm lift or brachioplasty, a procedure which targets excess skin and fat of the arms. This procedure can reverse the so-called “bat wings” that are a common side effect of changes in weight as well as aging.
Am I a Good Candidate for Body Contouring Surgery?
If you’re interested in contouring your body through surgical means, especially if you’ve just lost a significant amount of weight, you should start by meeting with your plastic surgeon for a consultation. Body contouring can also help those who have undergone other changes in their body, including pregnancies and aging. The right body contouring procedure, or set of procedures, can restore your body’s youthful appearance, improve your self-confidence, and give you a second chance to look the way you’ve always wanted.
To be considered a good candidate for body contouring surgery after weight loss, you may need to meet certain requirements for your weight. Talk to your plastic surgeon about when you will be eligible for surgery, what weight you may need to reach, and how long you may need to maintain that weight loss before surgery. Additionally, you should be in good physical health, not smoke, and have a realistic expectation for your surgical results. Talk openly with your surgeon about your own health history, any concerns you may have, and the procedures that may most benefit you.
Where Can I Learn More About Body Contouring After Weight Loss?
To begin your own journey toward a better-contoured body following dramatic weight loss, contact the Aesthetic Surgery Center to book an appointment with Dr. Ross, one of our plastic surgeons. Dr. Ross believes that educating and communicating with her patients are the keys to helping them achieve successful, natural-looking results. Book your appointment at the Aesthetic Surgery Center, located at 1175 Creekside Parkway #100 in Naples, FL, by calling (239) 594-9100.