It’s one of life’s little facts: A woman’s breasts change over time. Age, pregnancy, or simple weight fluctuations can contribute to a loss in skin elasticity and structural support, resulting in “saggy” or “droopy” breasts.
While these changes are common, they still have the ability to rob a woman of her confidence and self-esteem. Fortunately, breast lift techniques are available today that can reverse the negative impacts of time and gravity on the chest. At the Aesthetic Surgery Center in Naples, Dr. William Ross provides individually tailored breast lift procedures, designed to restore a woman’s self-assuredness with a pleasing, natural-looking chest.
What is a Breast Lift?
A breast lift, also known as a Mastopexy, is a surgical procedure designed to restore the breasts back to their youthful position. The lifting technique involves removing loose, excess skin (also known as ‘skin laxity’), and then reshaping the underlying tissue to enhance the overall shape of the breast.
A breast lift can be performed alone for rejuvenating results. However, as the breast lift is only designed to improve position and shape, the technique does not change the breast’s volume. For many women, optimal results can be seen when the breast lift procedure is combined with the placement of breast implants, restoring both the volume and position of the breasts during one procedure.
The Benefits of a Breast Lift
A Mastopexy has the ability to rejuvenate a droopy, shapeless physical silhouette. Falling breasts will be restored to their youthful position. Nipples and areolas, although once stretched and distorted, will be made aesthetically pleasing, and relocated to an optimal height. The newly achieved, uplifted breast profile will provide beautiful breasts; allowing a woman to once again feel confident under clothing, swimwear, as well as, in intimate situations.
Prior to scheduling your procedure, a consultation appointment will be arranged with Dr. Ross at The Aesthetic Surgery Center. During this time, Dr. Ross will come to understand your physical needs and aesthetic goals. He will then explain all of the breast lift options, and answer any remaining questions. Dr. Ross will also show numerous Before/After photographs of recent Mastopexy patients, to illustrate the process. Should it be determined that the breast lift is right for an individual, a unique surgical plan will be created to match these needs.
The Ideal Candidate for a Breast Lift
Anyone, frustrated with sagging breasts, may make an excellent candidate for the breast lift procedure. While the average breast lift patient is in her 40s, women both younger and older may begin to notice the sagging tissues, distorted nipple position, and the unwelcome signs of declining breasts. A potential patient is expected to be in overall good health, understand the breast lift technique, and hold realistic expectations for their final results. A woman should also be committed to the recovery process.
The Mastopexy procedure is performed as an outpatient surgery, under general anesthesia. As the correction required will be tailored for each individual patient, the procedure can take between two to three hours to complete. During the consultation appointment, Dr. Ross will determine the recommended technique and incision pattern to be used during the breast lift. He will use the degree of droop, a woman’s unique physical needs, and the patient’s aesthetic desires to determine the specifics of each breast lift procedure.
- Breasts with minimal breast ptosis, or droop, can see excellent results from the Benelli Lift procedure. Also known as a Periareolar Mastopexy, this technique requires only an incision around the nipples. The Benelli Lift is often paired with a breast augmentation, for optimal results, in order to increase breast size.
- Medium breasts with a moderate ptosis will benefit most from the Lollipop Lift, sometimes referred to as a Vertical Mastopexy. In addition to the circular Periareolar incision, the Lollipop Lift includes a vertical incision down the mid-breast to the breast crease. This is the most commonly performed breast lift procedure.
- Large, full breasts with significant sagging may require the more dramatic, Anchor Lift technique. Also called the Wise Pattern Mastopexy, a horizontal incision will run across the breast fold, coupled with the Periareolar and vertical incisions. The Anchor Lift can provide excellent, long lasting results.
To begin the Mastopexy procedure, Dr. Ross will place several thin incisions along the predetermined areas of the breast. From here, he will excise the stretched skin, and then reshape the remaining breast tissues to a higher, more natural position on the chest. If needed, he will reduce the nipple size, creating proportion with the other breast tissue. At this time, additional procedures such as a breast reduction or the placement of a breast implant will be performed, if needed. Once the desired results have been achieved, Dr. Ross will place dissolvable sutures for a safe and effective healing process.
Breast Lift Recovery
Patients should plan on their breast lift recovery to take approximately one week. Mild swelling, numbness, and bruising are common but usually diminish quickly following surgery. Once the swelling has started to resolve, and the incisions heal, the breast tissue will settle to an organic-looking height. Most women do not experience any more than mild to moderate discomfort during the healing process. However, Dr. Ross will prescribe the needed prescription pain medications for a peaceful recovery.
Most women will feel well enough to return to work or school a week after their breast lift procedure. It is important to remember that even if a patient is feeling well, vigorous exercise and heavy lifting (including small children) should be postponed for at least four weeks after surgery.
Breast Lift Risks and Complications
Patient safety is of the utmost importance at The Aesthetic Surgery Center. Dr. Ross’s breast lift techniques are widely considered to be safe and satisfying procedures. Using a combination of meticulous, cutting-edge incisions, and traditional techniques, Dr. Ross has provided hundreds of women with safe and satisfying Mastopexy results.
Since the breast lift is an invasive procedure, however, there is always a small risk for complications to arise. Patients should understand there is always a small, although rare, chance for excessive bleeding, infection, scarring, poor wound healing, permanent nipple numbness, and breast asymmetry. To avoid complications, patients are encouraged to use only an experienced breast lift surgeon, such as Dr. Ross at the Aesthetic Surgery Center.
If you have any questions about these procedures at the Aesthetic Surgery Center or would like to schedule a breast lift consultation appointment with Dr. Ross, contact our Naples, Florida office at 239.594.9100.
- Are You Ready for a Mommy Makeover?
- Get the Year Going with the Right Procedures!
- Cosmetic Options To Consider After Massive Weight Loss
- Why Everyone Loves a Mommy Makeover
- A Solution For Women With Uneven Breasts
Dr. Ross is an outstanding physician, who will advise and assist you make the right decision about any surgical procedure he offers; he is kind, cautious and takes the time to listen to his patients. I had breast implants and liposuction done at the beautiful state of the facility where he practices. I’m so pleased with results and the care provided by the Dr. and the friendly staff.
Breast Lift FAQs
Depending on the type of breast lift performed, and the extent of correction, Dr. Ross’s breast lift procedure will take between two and three hours to perform.
The recovery period after a breast lift will take about a week. Swelling and bruising are also common over the first few weeks.
Most patients feel well enough to return to work in one week, while exercise should be postponed for four weeks.
Yes, the breast lift procedure will result in scars along the incision lines. Dr. Ross minimizes scarring through meticulous, innovative suturing techniques. Over time, the breast lift scars will fade. Scars can be well concealed, however, underneath clothing and swimwear.
The benefits from a breast lift are long-lasting. However, breast tissue will continue to be affected by gravity and the aging process. Therefore, the results from a breast lift may change slightly over time.
To ensure a low-stress breast lift, and an efficient recovery period, Dr. Ross suggests the following:
– Take at least five to seven days off from work, allowing appropriate time to heal.
– Pickup pain medications, antibiotics, or other prescriptions from the pharmacy prior to the day of surgery.
– Arrange for a ride home from the surgical center; you will not be able to drive yourself.
– Set up help with household chores, pets, and/or children for the first 24-48 hours after surgery, as you will be very tired and sore.
– Create a soothing recovery space to rest comfortably after your procedure, including books, magazines, movies, and several extra pillows.
– Stock up on soft, easy to prepare meals and lots of liquids.
Why choose Dr. Ross
- Plastic & Reconstructive Surgery Fellowship, Medical College of Georgia
- General Surgery Residency, University of South Carolina School of Medicine
- Post-Doctoral Research Fellow, Medical College of Georgia
- Surgical Internship, University of Nevada School of Medicine
- Medical School, Howard University College of Medicine, Alpha Omega Alpha Honor Society